The policy of cookie files
The current policy of cookie policies is applicable to all users of the www.psd.ro webpage. Information presented below are aimed at providing information to the users of this webpage on cookie placement, usage and management by the Social Democratic Party on the background of users’ browsing on this internet page.
- What are the cookies?
We use the term “cookie” to refer to the cookie modules and similar technologies through which information can be collected in an automated manner. An “Internet cookie” (also known as a “browser cookie”, a “HTTP cookie” or a “cookie”) represents a small size file, made up from letters and figures, which will be stored on the computer, mobile terminal or any other equipment of a user used as means to gain access to the Internet. The cookies are installed based on a request issued by a web-server to a browser (e.g.: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome). The cookies, once installed, have a determined period of existence, remain “passive”, in the sense that they do not contain software, viruses or spyware and shall not access information from the hard-drive of the user on whose equipment these were installed. A cookie is made from two parts:
- the cookie name; and
- the cookie contents or value.
From a technical point of view, only the web-server which sent the cookie may access it again at the moment when the user returns on the internet page associated to the web-server in question.
- The purposes that the cookies are used for through this internet page are identified below.
The cookies are used in order to provide the users of this internet page a better experience for browsing and services adapted to the needs and the interests of each user, namely for:
- improvement of usage of this internet page, including by identifying any errors that may appear while the users are visiting/using it;
- supplying anonymous statistics regarding the manner in which this internet page is used by the Social Democratic Party, as owner of this internet page;
- anticipating potential goods that would be made available in the future to the users through this internet page, depending on the accessed services/products.
- the language that the internet page is visualised;
- the currency expressed for certain fees or rates;
- facilitation of access to the users’ account;
- posting comments on the web-site.
- Which is the life cycle of the cookies?
The life cycle of the cookies may vary significantly, depending on the purpose that they are placed for. The following categories of cookies determine also their life cycle:
- Session cookies – a “session cookie” is a cookie that is automatically deleted when the user closes the browser.
- Persistent cookies – a “persistent cookie” or a “fixed cookie” is a cookie that is stored in the user’s terminal until it reaches a certain expiry date (which may be minutes, days or years in the future) or until its deletion by the user at any given moment through the browser settings.
- What are third party cookies?
Certain content sections from the internet page may be supplied through some third parties, that is, not by the Social Democratic Party, and in this case the cookies are entitled “third party cookies”.
These cookies may be supplied by the following third parties: Google Analytics, Facebook etc.
- What cookies are used through this internet page:
By using/visiting the internet page, the following cookies could be placed:
a. Internet page performance cookies; b. users’ analysis cookies; c. geo-targeting cookies;
a. Performance cookies
This type of cookies allow for the preferences of the user to be stored, so that it is not required to set the preferences again when visiting the internet page subsequently.
b. Users’ analysis cookies
These cookies inform us whether a certain user of the internet page have used/had previously used this internet page. These cookies are used only for statistical purposes.
c. Geo-targeting cookies
These cookies are used by a software that determines the country of origin of the user’s internet page. The same advertising shall be received no matter the selected language.
- What type of information is stored and accessed through cookies?
Cookies store information in a small-sized text file which allows the browser to be remembered. This internet page recognizes the browser until the cookies expire or until they are deleted.
- Specifications for the browser settings in terms of cookies
- How can cookies be stopped?
Turning off and refusal to receive cookies may also result in making this internet page difficult to use, leading to hindering possibilities to use it. The users may configure the browser so that it rejects the cookie files or to accept cookies from a specific internet page. All modern browsers provide the possibility to change the cookie settings. These settings can be accessed, usually, in the “Options” settings or in the “Preferences” menu of your browser.
In order to understand these settings, the following links may be useful:
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari